The word Caritas means caring and concern for the poor and vulnerable in society. Caritas Uganda is the Socio-Pastoral and development arm of the Uganda Episcopal Conference. In Uganda the organisation was started in 1958 as Social Services and development unit which makes the Country one of thsoe to embrace the Caritas as a development department. The Organisation has a national coordinating body and diocesan office in the 19 Catholic Dioceses. On the International scene Caritas Uganda is a member of the Caritas Internationalis Confederation whose secretariat is in Rome and is composed of 164 member organizations. Importance of Caritas The importance of Caritas lies in structuring the socio-pastoral action to provide the means for effective and coherent work with a mission in mind. Caritas Inspiration Caritas derives its inspiration from
- The witness of Christian Holy Scripture and a living tradition of the social teaching of the church.
- Fundamental reference points – Holy Scripture, the example of Jesus and the Church’s social teaching on one hand and the socio-historical reality on the other.
- Reading the “signs of the times” to become more relevant to the church’s mission and effective advocates for God’s reign on earth.
- A commitment to justice and peace in a world marked by many conflicts and intolerable social and economic inequalities.
- Adhering to the core values found in Christ’s teaching and in the tradition of the church